VID/S or Spaces, from Red's hiiamboris

I haven't looked at it closely, but what I find interesting is that the demos are trying to show some non-trivial looking things:

hiiamboris/red-spaces: Draw based widgets for Red - red-spaces - Codeberg.org

Here's the code for editing text on a spiral:

red-spaces/spiral-test.red at master - red-spaces - Codeberg.org

I guess there's nothing particularly remarkable about it, in the sense that it's just a clickable canvas...drawing the whole thing every time. Modern computers just happen to be pretty fast, so duplicating a couple of lorem ipsum texts 10 times isn't going to create all that much of a barrier to doing such a thing...even if Red is nothing special.

What I'd consider "remarkable" would be if there was some design whereby you were inheriting selection behavior...so it was doing some kind of behavior-preserving coordinate transformation on a fully functional text editor widget. It's not.

So that sort of dampens my interest in looking too much deeper.

The "rotate a form" demo is a more behavior-preserving example, but not a particularly profound one. I'm not completely sure what the pitch is. CSS can do transforms, too. 3-D even.

impress.js | presentation tool based on the power of CSS3 transforms and transitions in modern browsers | by Bartek Szopka @bartaz

1 Like

Boris saw this post and responded by updating his samples with selections on a spiral, so that's good to see that works, and that his plans are somewhat more ambitious than traditional VID:

1 Like

Boris's Red Spaces now supports "style sheets" of a kind, so you can make themes:

I don't really have time (yet) with everything else going on to evaluate this stuff. So I'd rather whatever audience Red can get hammers on it to filter out what's good.

(At some point I'll try my hand at a GUI dialect, but I'd like to be reacting to the polished and critiqued version of whatever evolves out of their world.)

2 Likes

There's now a 250-line VID/S markdown viewer example called "Redmark":

red-spaces/redmark.red at master - red-spaces - Codeberg.org

It depends on an external function called DECODE-MARKDOWN, which means its starting from a Red-friendly format of some kind.

If DECODE-MARKDOWN produces something parallel to an HTML DOM then this would basically be comparable to the CSS you'd need to render that on a page with proper resize behavior, I guess...

Some notes about it here.

1 Like

I have no idea why he chooses these odd colour combinations

1 Like

Helps as a calling card to tell which Red demos to pay attention to. :slight_smile: