VID/S or Spaces, from Red's hiiamboris

I haven't looked at it closely, but what I find interesting is that the demos are trying to show some non-trivial looking things:

hiiamboris/red-spaces: Draw based widgets for Red - red-spaces - Codeberg.org

Here's the code for editing text on a spiral:

red-spaces/spiral-test.red at master - red-spaces - Codeberg.org

I guess there's nothing particularly remarkable about it, in the sense that it's just a clickable canvas...drawing the whole thing every time. Modern computers just happen to be pretty fast, so duplicating a couple of lorem ipsum texts 10 times isn't going to create all that much of a barrier to doing such a thing...even if Red is nothing special.

What I'd consider "remarkable" would be if there was some design whereby you were inheriting selection behavior...so it was doing some kind of behavior-preserving coordinate transformation on a fully functional text editor widget. It's not.

So that sort of dampens my interest in looking too much deeper.

The "rotate a form" demo is a more behavior-preserving example, but not a particularly profound one. I'm not completely sure what the pitch is. CSS can do transforms, too. 3-D even.

impress.js | presentation tool based on the power of CSS3 transforms and transitions in modern browsers | by Bartek Szopka @bartaz

1 Like

Boris saw this post and responded by updating his samples with selections on a spiral, so that's good to see that works, and that his plans are somewhat more ambitious than traditional VID:

1 Like