On how to build REN-C on Windows

The build on Linux is according to the description in the Readme.md file. Now I needed to build on another machine, which happens to be a Windows box.
I ran the build script in my r3 downloaded executable after which it became clear there was no gcc installed.
How to proceed now? Is the TCC alternative available and even preferrable over gcc? Or is gcc the way to go and how to go on with installing that? Perhaps even use Visual Code?

All things being equal, I'd really hope people would be focusing their attention on the web build.

The questions that you raise here are a good reason why.

It's not in particular your fault that you don't know how to proceed or what choices to make. But the fact that you don't come to the situation armed with preferences and a clear direction of what to do suggests that maybe it's the wrong goal for you.

:man_shrugging:

For Windows, what I do is install Visual Studio (currently 2022 version) and pick the C++ desktop settings to get the MSVC executables. Then I run the "Developer Command Prompt" batch file, which spawns a command prompt that has the necessary executables in the path. (CL.EXE the compiler, NMAKE.EXE the build tool)

I edit in VSCode. Some debugging scenarios are handled better in Visual Studio, but I only bring that out occasionally.

The GitHub Actions runner comes with Visual Studio preinstalled. So it's making the builds using an environment similar to what I have.

• Visual Studio is big. I have a 2 terabyte hard drive and a fast computer so I tolerate it. While I'm empathetic to people who say "oh no, my hard drive is small, I can't install such a thing" I also have to choose my battles.

• Using TCC is a fringe exercise that I have actually never done in Windows (I don't think?) Maybe years ago. It might not be working at the moment even on Linux. I've had other more important things to worry about, like...binding.

• Using the MinGW toolchain is more relevant but also something I haven't been keeping up with. Our MinGW build on the servers was actually cross-compiling, e.g. the MinGW compiler runs on Linux and builds for Windows.

I can't really support the efforts of anyone not savvy enough to sort the issues out on their own. I have a -lot- to do and need to draw the line.

There's a universe of tinkering one can do with the web build, and that's where the relevant future is.

(Or... install a linux virtual machine and you can get all the compilers and such with sudo apt get)