LkpPo (Stéphane)

(HostilFork asks me to introduce myself.)

Stéphane Aulery. French Rebol beginner. I have an IT BTS (a non-university French degree in development). I have been working for 13 years in web development and the development of other business applications. Almost never at a software publisher. For 16 years I use Linux, especially Debian, but also Windows. Since then I want to switch to OpenBSD because of my affinity with this project and its developers.

I am passionate about computer science and programming and I spend a lot of time both contributing to free software and learning all kinds of languages ​​and paradigms.

I had the opportunity to develop the entire system of a publisher in ASP / VBScript, then work on the systems of other companies, which made me refractory to complexity. You could tell me that ASP / VbScript is not very engaging, but this minimalist language, in Oberon / Modula / Pascal's mind, really captures the essence of structured programming in a way that makes me see Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby like monsters. On the other hand I do not have much experience with compiled languages ​​because it is not common in my professional sector (just some experiments on microcontrollers or C drivers during my studies).

I do not remember when I met Rebol. Perhaps during research on Forth and Lisp. I decided to take a more serious interest in Rebol. I am here for pleasure, curiosity, learning, and contributing a promising language.

3 Likes

Hello @hostilefork,

I will read and like. I tried to reply on a topic about SWITCH, but it's locked or I can't post with a newbie profil on the forum.

I'm read time to time the trello board. I appreciate what you did for a better rebol.

I have not yet founded the time to learn Rebol. I tried but not have the whoa flash yet.

Maybe it's because Rebol is very different.

On the roadmap, for useful programs, I thinks UTF-8 is really important.

1 Like

I'm not the forum administrator, and he seems to be gone on holiday, but I can ask about it when he gets back.

Thanks! It is a work in progress. Not every change has turned out to be good, but many have. I'm not afraid to update it if a better idea is found--or even just go back to how it was.

Me too. And if you look at the popularity of encodings UTF-8 seems to have already won. If you are trying to build a simple system, it seems one that didn't need to support anything other than UTF-8 internally would be the future. This is believed by The UTF-8 Everywhere Manifesto.

I will try and sync up the branch that only uses UTF-8... it had some success early in the year:

1 Like

I thinks Utf-8 only is probably the future of encoding. The convergent movement of Windows and Linux Subsystem will erode the last bastions.

2 Likes