Concept: Filters

Filters are a means of incrementally transcoding data from source to brokered output (bytes/binary! or characters/text!). A goal is to provide a standard API for transcoding that can be implemented and used as efficiently as possible (e.g. extracting a portion of encoded data without extracting the whole; native transcoders for Deflate). A filter could conceivably be implemented as a distinct type that has object-like properties (as the PORT! type does) and could thus be acted upon by the appropriate Rebol actors (COPY/SKIP/NEXT/TAIL, etc.).

I've alluded to a similar idea in an earlier post, however this concept is more focussed on transcoding one series of numbers/characters to another. Filters are NOT scanners/tokenizers/lexers.

A filter source can be:

• BINARY! or TEXT! values
  • PORT! values that stream BINARY! or TEXT! (including files/network resources)
  • filter values (i.e. filters can be layered)

Examples of filter types:

• Retrieves binary contained within a file/network resource
  • Decodes text encoded as UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1, CP-1252, etc. (or even unspecified using something like Chardet)
  • Decodes binary compressed per Deflate, LZW, etc.
  • Decodes binary encoded as 'text' per Base64, Ascii85, Hexadecimal, etc.
  • Decrypts binary encrypted per e.g. Rebol 2 ENCLOAK/DECLOAK (but obviously more)
  • Decodes text encoded mostly literally but with escape sequences, e.g. JSON strings, Rebol strings, XML/HTML data sequences/attribute values

Filters should have at least the following capabilities:

• Copy all encoded data
  • Copy part of the encoded data
  • Skip part of the encoded data (Deflate could potentially iterate faster if it wasn't emitting simultaneously)

Filters should possibly have the following capabilities:

• BACK/HEAD/negative SKIP support
  • TAKE/REMOVE/CLEAR as a means of clearing buffers

Functions that consume data should support filters as a pseudo-series type, e.g.

Filter values are exhausted when:

• An end-of-content signal/delimiter has been found e.g. self-terminating formats such as Deflate; quote marks ending a JSON string
  • A filter cap has been reached e.g. the filter has a specified length
  • An unrecoverable error occurs (e.g. invalid UTF-8 sequences in strict mode; the 'g' character in a hexadecimal stream)
  • The source has been exhausted

It should be possible to recover the current source at the corresponding index within a filter value though this may require additional state info, e.g. in Deflate or Base64 where a byte within an encoding has information pertaining to more than one decoded byte

Filter algorithms can be native (e.g. Deflate tied to Zlib, UTF-8) or in user-mode (thus extensible).

1 Like

I'll spitball samples/test cases in replies. The example from the ports/streams/iterator posts was a layered encoding where an compressed encoding is in turn encoded as text:

encoded: make filter! [
    ; implied type: 'text
    source: "start F3DI7!! end"
]

consume encoded "start"

encoded-ascii85: make filter! [
    type: 'ascii85
    source: encoded
]

encoded-deflate: make filter! [
    type: 'deflate
    source: encoded-ascii85
]

result: copy encoded-deflate

consume encoded " end"
=> true

Extracting from a large file

big-file: open/direct %big-file.txt

file-content: make filter! [
    ; implied type: 'stream
    source: big-file
]

copy/part skip file-content 1'000'000 25

As mentioned, ideally filter algorithms would have mechanisms to skip content without buffering, so you could do the following as fast as any other way of doing it:

big-file: open/direct %big-file.txt

file-content-as-utf-8: make filter! [
    type: 'utf-8
    source: make filter! [
        ; implied type: 'stream
        source: big-file
    ]
]

copy/part skip file-content 1'000'000 25
; skips 1'000'000 UTF-8 characters without copying/buffering
1 Like

One interesting file format is that of Xara (XAR) vector images. They consist of an eight-byte header followed by a collection of records. Records consist of two little-endian 32-bit integers denoting the record type and size followed by the record content. Presumably easy to traverse—however: the wrinkle here is that there is one record type that indicates that subsequent records are encoded in a single Deflate stream that terminates with both the end of the Deflate stream and a record type that indicates the end of the compressed section.

This is a simplified way of looking at it (each tag representing a whole record):

---- regular byte stream ----
<8-byte header>
<title>
<metadata>
<start-compressed-section>
---- deflate compressed byte stream ----
<thing>
<thing>
<end-compressed-section>
---- regular byte stream ----
<thing>
<thing>
---- eof ----

This type of switch could be handled with filters.

file-content: make filter! [
    source: open/direct %image.xar
]

content: file-content

consume content #{... magic number ...}

until [
    type: consume content 'unsigned-32-le
    size: consume content 'unsigned-32-le

switch type [
        types/start-compressed-section [
            content: make filter! [
                type: 'deflate