BLANK! (_) as SPACE in String-Oriented Dialects

(Note: I'm kicking off this discussion with a conclusion from an otherwise outdated thread, circa 2020.)

Having had a fair amount of time to reflect on the evolution of things, I think we need to make undecorated word fetches not produce an error with NULL. I've outlined the history of why they were erroring at the outset, and walking through it I think there's a coherent plan for when there is tolerance and when there is not (e.g. function arguments by default).

But today I realized something particularly pleasing about this. We had a concept that BLANK!...due to its non-erroring status, would be the way of "disarming" a null assignment to a variable. It's still going to be a way of disarming parameters for "blank in, null out", but not needed for a plain assignment.

That frees up blank for dialect uses distinct from NULL.

In particular, it recovers it for something that was tried for a time... being synonymous with space (#" "). The concept emerged when it was called into question whether PRINT should default to adding implicit spaces, and how you should avoid it doing so. print ["It" _ was _ "ugly"] if the common case didn't have implicit spaces, so ultimately we went with SPACED by default and you could write print unspaced [...] if that's what you wanted.

Yet _ was deemed to need to behave just as NULL did, as you couldn't put a NULL in a variable. So when you needed to, you would use blank, and it would be the non-erroring synonym. It was a sad loss for when you wanted a nice way to note spaces, but seemed to be the way it had to be.

Well, not any more!

With non-erroring NULLs, dialects are free to distinguish the behavior of blanks and nulls. NULL being the most obvious "nothing". So why not bring back BLANK! as being a synonym for space?

It still has the "no delimiters applied" status of a CHAR!. So spaced ["a" _ _ "b"] would still be just two spaces between the a and the b... not five.

Looking good!

Even better news here in 2022...

...it's not even used for that anymore!

With definitional errors as the underpinning, BLANK!-in-NULL-out has been replaced by NULL-in-TRY-out.

This is good. Because it had been uncomfortable dealing with the difference in meaning for a literal blank vs. a fetched blank:

>> maybe-unused-var: _

>> unspaced ["a" maybe-unused-var "b"]
== "ab"

>> unspaced ["a" _ "b"]
== "a b"

I tried various ways of rationalizing this (for instance, "a WORD! doesn't act like a fetched version of itself, why should BLANK! have to?") But I'll freely admit this was coming from a place of "I want blank for space in string dialects--so I'll keep justifying it until I find a good-enough sounding excuse, even if it's kind of broken."

Of course, I'm only hurting myself when I do that. This bit me when I was trying to factor the internals so that DELIMIT was based on the same code as REDUCE. Because if I thought of DELIMIT as being a kind of post-processing pass on what a reduce was doing, it wouldn't have enough information to accomplish the distinction above:

unspaced ["a" _ "b"]

Step 1: reduce ["a" _ "b"]
== ["a" _ "b"]
Step 2: ...
Step 3:
== "a b"

vs.

unspaced ["a" maybe-unused-var "b"]

Step 1: reduce ["a" maybe-unused-var "b"]
== ["a" _ "b"]
Step 2: ...
Step 3:
== "ab" 

:raised_hand: "What's step 2?"

Everything Changed...

Now any transitions from blanks to NULL-ness or VOID-ness or SPACE-ness (or anything else) will be conscious acts of a dialect. It can do that without being beholden to some idea that BLANK! has to be reserved for an implementation mechanic of something like TRY.

You would really make a variable NULL, and to have it disappear in something like a REDUCE or UNSPACED you'd literally use MAYBE to do that.

>> var: null

>> reduce ["a" var "b"]
** Error: var is NULL and REDUCE doesn't like that  ; paraphrased :-)

>> reduce ["a" maybe var "b"]  ; MAYBE turns NULL into VOID
== "ab"

With BLANK! now freed up, I think if the string conversions interpret it as space, that's great!

>> to text! [Hello _ New _ Blank _ World!]
== "Hello New Blank World!"

Armed with GET-BLOCK! as REDUCE, you have some great shorthand:

>> var1: "Hello"
>> var2: 'World!

>> to text! reduce [var1 _ 'New _ "Blank" _ var2]

>> to text! :[var1 _ 'New _ "Blank" _ var2]

Pleasing and solid. And the internals benefit--as I mentioned--by being able to do things like build DELIMIT on top of REDUCE.

:broom: :sparkles:

And it should go without saying at this point... but... Redbol and your own ideas could come in and do all this differently.

2 Likes