VOID Branches (not branches that evaluate to void)

I've mentioned before that AUGMENT can be used to implement the legacy SWITCH/DEFAULT behavior.

But looking at what seems like the "correct" formulation of that code today, we get:

switch-d: enclose (augment :switch [
    /default "Default case if no others are found"
        [block!]
]) lambda [f [frame!]] [
    let def: f.default
    eval f else (maybe def)
]

It points out the existence of void branches... so not branches that evaluate to void (e.g. [void]) but code that evaluates to a branch to run, and that branch is void.

Considering this specific usage only, it suggests a semantic for ELSE of a VOID branch, which is that you want it to act like there was no branch at all. e.g. as if you'd written just eval f with no ELSE.

>> if false [1 + 2]
 == ~void~  ; anti

>> if false [1 + 2] else [10 + 20]
 == 30

>> if false [1 + 2] else (void)
 == ~void~  ; anti

Would the same apply to THEN?

>> if true [1 + 2]
 == 3

>> if true [1 + 2] then [10 + 20]
 == 30

>> if true [1 + 2] then (void)
 == 3

:thinking:

I don't know if it's great, but it's certainly better than evaluating to NULL (via some void-in-null-out rationale) because that would trigger an ELSE branch.

>> if true [1 + 2] then (void) else [print "we don't want this."]
 we don't want this.

But what should other branching constructs do, like CASE or SWITCH? Might a void branch suggest "opting out" of that particular branch?

case [
     1 < 2 (void)
     3 < 4 [print "Should this run?"]
 ]

A CASE (at least CASE/ALL) is supposed to be synonymous with a series of IF statements. And IF can't exactly do that, unless it decided to be NIHIL...

>> 1 + 2 if false (void)
== 3

That would be a bit weird, but, it does sort of parallel what happens when ELSE and THEN effectively vaporize themselves.

As with most things on the edge of usefulness, I don't know about this... other than the situation of wanting to revoke the ELSE branch in SWITCH-D. I'll keep an eye on it.