Singular ANY-SPACE vs. Plural WHITESPACE?

Transitions have made some parse rules get longer:

[any whitespace]  ; being repurposed--seems like "pick one" not a loop construct
 =>
 [while whitespace]  ; being repurposed to arity-2; arity-1 form is unsettling
 =>
 [try some whitespace]

But this seems a bit overlong...especially considering that whitespace is such a long word.

It occurs to me that "whitespace" can be itself plural. Might we say that ANY-SPACE is a character set, and then whitespace: [some any-space] ?

This at least gets you down to whitespace or try whitespace...which seems pretty minimal for the intent (unless you're going to go with abbreviations like ws* or similar).

I really don't know how many cases there are where you are willing to tolerate only a single unit of an arbitrary whitespace character. When does that come up? Usually if you're matching a single whitespace character you know which one you're reacting to...and the only time you'd ever bundle up a collection of them together is when you're willing to skip a lot of it.

I doubt there'd be many uses of ANY-SPACE in a rule, and that it would just be used to compound other character collections.

It means WHITESPACE would be a parse rule--not a charset--so you would have to use ANY-SPACE for character set in non-PARSE code, but that doesn't seem so bad.