Networking Calls from Ren-C WASI Build?

As far as I understand it, we need to wait until the hooks for WASI are built into the C/C++ compilers used to build Rebol so that not only can we print "EHLO world" but we can also do networking.

2 Likes

We can:

1. Wait for that to happen (will happen < 1 year, I would bet for certain)

2. Build a bridge to Rust (where the runtime has WASI networking), and have our r3.wasm built as a Rust project that embeds Ren-C.

• I like Rust, and want a Rust bridge, Shixin started one that I have only glanced at; I know a lot more Rust now than then.

• The "weird" Rust toolchain isn't necessarily any weirder than a "weird" clang wired up to target WASI, so on the topic of dependencies it's actually a thought-out thing that has some various virtuosities.

3. Have me contribute to Wasi-SDK or Emscripten and write it myself:

• This is a bad way to burn my cycles on something that will happen anyway.

• The Rust bridge would be a much more forward looking idea

So default is (1), but maybe (2).

2 Likes
  1. means that eventually Rebol users will get access to WASI, but 2. means that Rust users will also get access to Rebol. There's more to be gained from the second choice, especially if it's something you've always wanted to do.
3 Likes

I'm for it. But it's one of those big new project things, that one has to claw one's way through. A lot of unknown unknowns.

"...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know." --Donald Rumsfeld

But I did crack open the WasmEdge and do that, so, it's not like I can't do new things. It's just that we're at a real limit of carrying capacity for platforms for one person.

2 Likes